Several years ago I put a small link on my homepage that referenced a DIY Divorce. I figured if people were interested, they would enter their name and contact information to be contacted when the course was ready.
Turns out, people were interested and a number of people signed up to be notified when the course went live!
And now it is!
As of today, DIY Online Divorce is now live and available to the public.
Here’s the problem that many people face. They want or need to get a divorce, but they can’t afford to hire a divorce lawyer. Out of necessity, they must handle their case on their own, but they aren’t sure where to turn or what to do.
Here’s where the DIY Online Divorce comes in.
Presenting the DIY Divorce
The DIY Online Divorce is a different way to get divorced in North Carolina. If you are nervous about the process of separation and divorce, but aren’t ready or able to hire a lawyer for your case, the DIY Divorce may be just what you need.
Here is what you get when you sign up for a DIY Online Divorce membership through The Hart Law Firm:
- A Form Generator Tool that will help you to quickly and easily prepare the documents for your case. Currently we have access to a Separation Agreement interview and an Absolute Divorce interview. But we are working on interviews that will help you prepare a lawsuit for custody, post separation support, equitable distribution, and more. If you can’t find an interview for a document (or, more likely, a set of documents) you need, let us know and we will get to work programming a new intereview.
- Instructional Videos and “How To” Information. How do you negotiate the best result for your family? How do you put together a valid and enforceable separation agreement? How do you file a lawsuit? How do you represent yourself in court? We will take you through every step of the process, baby step by baby step.
- Affordable pricing. Instead of paying tens of thousands of dollars to a law firm for full-service representation, you will pay a low monthly rate to get the peace of mind and confidence you need to represent yourself.
- Access to Reduced Fee Services. Members of our DIY Community will also get access to hire lawyers for reduced fees to review their paperwork, provide legal coaching, and more.
Who Should Use the DIY Online Divorce Option?
Staying in a marriage that is going nowhere is bad for everyone. As a child of divorce himself, the founder of The Hart Law Firm knows what a bad marriage looks like, and just how stressful it can be on every member of the family, not just you and your spouse.
But that being said, DIY Online Divorce is not for everyone. People who are in abusive or one-sided and controlling relationships should not attempt to handle their own divorce. People with complicated financial situations should not attempt a DIY Divorce. If you are seeking alimony or child support and your spouse or their attorney is denying you even a basic amount of support, you should not consider a DIY Divorce.
On the other hand, a DIY Divorce is a great option for people who:
- Are on speaking terms with their spouse and are comfortable handling their own legal matter.
- Have relatively simple finances. This doesn’t mean you don’t have money – it means that your finances are organized and tidy and both you and your spouse know how the money flows in your family.
- Can work with their spouse to come to an agreement about how property is to be divided, how much support should be paid, and/or what custody of the kids will look like.
- Are not being abused or manipulated by their spouse.
Basically, the more contentious your situation, the more you will need a lawyer. DIY divorce is intended for those individuals who have a relatively amicable split, but still need to make sure their legal documents are in order.
The Benefits and Drawbacks of a DIY Divorce
There are numerous benefits to handling your own divorce. Here are just a few:
- You have more control over the process.
- A reasonable price that you can afford.
- Access to our form generator software to help you through your case.
- Step-By-Step Instructions in the form of videos, FAQ’s and other assistance to walk you through the process.
- Reduced fees on other legal services, including document reviews, agreement drafting, phone consultations, and divorce filing.
- A 100% Money Back Guarantee to make sure you are completely satisfied every step of the way.
On the other hand, with a DIY Divorce you will be responsible for negotiating and handling every aspect of your case on your own. We can give you the information you need to make decisions about your case, but we can’t represent you in court or in negotiations with your spouse.
Why is DIY Divorce So Much Less Expensive than Traditional Representation?
The main reason that DIY Divorce is less expensive than traditional representation is that you are doing most of the leg-work yourself. If you aren’t comfortable with this, than DIY Divorce may not be right for you.
We are able to make this work for a reduced price because there are no phone calls or in-person meetings to discuss your case (unless you sign up for that service).
Second, as mentioned before, you are responsible for handling all the details of your case. This is a seismic shift from traditional representation where you hand off your case to an attorney who will handle everything else for you. With a DIY Divorce, you draft your own documents and pleadings, and make sure that your separation agreement accurately reflects your negotiations with your spouse.
This gives you more control over the process and will help you to understand more of what is included in the agreement. By drafting your own documents and financial disclosures you don’t have to pay a lawyer or paralegal to do it for you. We will teach you how to do it using our proprietary software, and you handle the rest.
Along the way, if you have questions about the process, the language in one of our forms, or anything else, we can help you find the answers you need.
If you are ready to get started with a DIY Online Divorce, just click the link to get started and set up a free 15 minute strategy session with a member of our office.