My wife and I are legally separated and have signed a settlement agreement. Subsequently, during an attempt at reconciliation, my name was added to the deed of our home which we own outright. My wife intends to remain in the home as a primary residence. May I seek a financial claim of half the equity?

Rating: +0

Positive Negative

This is a great question. North Carolina is one of the few states where if your name is added to the deed of real estate that was owned separately by the other state, than a strong presumption arises that the house is now a marital asset. I recommend that you seek the assistance of a lawyer with this issue.